LFC/AHS Orchestra Orientation – 1/5/2023
Charles Robinson, LFC Orchestras – 972-236-0600, ext. 4835 – email@example.com
Candi Ice, LFC Orchestras – 972-236-0600, ext. 4959 – firstname.lastname@example.org
Matt Cross, AHS Orchestras – 972-727-0400 – email@example.com
David DeVoto, AHS Orchestras – 972-727-0400 ext. 301301 – firstname.lastname@example.org
4 Year Academic Planning for Band, Choir, & Orchestra
Facts about 9-12 Orchestra
- Estimated 500 students in 2022-2023 (4 LFC Orchestras, 6 AHS Orchestras)
- Students are placed by audition and director recommendation.
- Lowery Chamber Orchestras performs as String Orchestra for the Fall Concert and UIL, then performs with select members of the Allen Escadrille and Lowery Sinfonia Orchestra students to form the Lowery FC Full Orchestra for UIL during the Spring Semester.
- Lowery Sinfonia Orchestra performs as String Orchestra for the Fall Concert and UIL, then performs with select members of the Allen Escadrille and Lowery Chamber Orchestra students to form the Lowery FC Full Orchestra for UIL during the Spring Semester.
- Lowery Concert Orchestra performs as a String Orchestra for entire school year.
- Lowery Camerata Orchestra performs as a String Orchestra for entire school year.
- AHS Chamber I Orchestras performs as String Orchestra for the Fall Concert and UIL, and Full Orchestra for the entire Spring Semester.
- AHS Chamber II Orchestra performs as String Orchestra for the Fall Concert and UIL, and Full Orchestra for the entire Spring Semester.
- AHS Sinfonia I Orchestra performs as String Orchestra for all Performances.
- AHS Sinfonia II Orchestra performs as String Orchestra for all Performances.
- AHS Concert I Orchestra performs as String Orchestra for all Performances.
- AHS Concert II Orchestra performs as String Orchestra for all Performances.
- All 9-12 Orchestras and students participate in UIL and TMEA Events (Contests, Competitions, etc…)
- All 9-12 Orchestras and students may participate in Spring Trip and/or invitational performances.
- Annual Orchestra Banquet (includes winds/percussionists who participate in Full Orchestras).
Common Questions About Orchestra
- Which Orchestra should my student sign up for?
TO ENROLL IN ORCHESTRA – USE THE COURSE CODE: FA1ORC – Orchestra
The LFC directors will place you in the appropriate orchestra after auditions in December.
In December 2021 – every 8th grade orchestra student played an audition/final exam for the LFC Orchestra directors. The students have been placed in an Orchestra for 2022-23 based on this audition, but changes could still occur based on student achievement and involvement in their middle school Orchestra programs. Please choose FA1ORC – Orchestra when signing up for Orchestra.
- What is Full Orchestra?
Starting in 9th grade, LFC Chamber & selected Sinfonia Orchestra students will perform with selected members of the Lowery FC Band – this ensemble will make up the LFC Full Orchestra. Rehearsals for Full Orchestra will be determined each semester – usually once a week after school (Around 2 rehearsals Fall Semester, 8 rehearsals Spring Semester). The AHS & LFC Full Orchestras performs in the UIL Contest and Spring Concerts. Example of Full Orchestra – AHS Symphony Orchestra
- How much money does it cost to be in the orchestra?
Each student is required to pay a $30.00 Orchestra fee to cover their t-shirt, binder & uniform dry cleaning at the end of the school year. You must also purchase or rent a quality instrument to play in the orchestra. The cello and bass can be rented from the school for school use ($125 per year.) Students have the option to take private music lessons, which is strongly encouraged! Spring Trips are also optional, but encouraged as well. Other costs involve small fees (All-Region Orchestra, UIL Solo & Ensemble, etc…). Payments are made through Schoolpay – links are provided in the “Store” section of the website: https://allenorchestra.org/store/
- What is the Uniform of LFC/HS Orchestra Students for formal concerts?
Students will be issued a school tuxedo or dress for formal concerts. The school uniform is provided at no cost – except for upkeep and dry cleaning during the school year. Black shoes, black socks, etc…will need to be provided by the student (see handbook.) The freshmen are issued new uniforms at the Orchestra Registration Day in August 2022.
- Is there a Booster Club available for parents to help the Allen Orchestra Program?
Yes! We encourage all parents to join the Booster Club! See website for info! http://www.allenorchestra.org/boosters
- How is Orchestra scheduled in a typical class day?
Lowery Orchestras are scheduled during the beginning of the day – currently Chamber Orchestra is 2nd period, Sinfonia Orchestra is 3rd period, Concert Orchestra is 6th period and Camerata Orchestra is 1st period. Orchestra at LFC and AHS is not a double-blocked class! LFC Camerata Orchestra & LFC Chamber Orchestras meet every day – LFC Sinfonia & LFC Concert Orchestras meet every other day. LFC Bell Schedule
- Are students required to attend all events?
Students are required to attend all events on the orchestra calendar that pertain to them (concerts for their specific class.) Some events are optional – such as the Spring Trip. In some instances academic eligibility will not allow students to attend some events which are out of district. We make every effort to inform parents about orchestra activities through our orchestra calendar (www.allenorchestra.org/calendar) and through your student’s Canvas course calendar. Please see handbook for more information.
Spring Trip 2019 (Out of State) details for your reference
Spring Trip 2022 (In State) – Corpus Information for your reference
- Does the orchestra meet early before school starts in August?
Yes, there will be an Orchestra Orientation before school starts, in August 2022 for all Orchestra students. Students will size for uniforms, receive binders, locker information, and purchase t-shirts. The Allen Orchestra Booster Club sells spirit wear while a local vendor will have instrument repair and music supplies available. Students and parents will receive information about the 22-23 Registration before the end of the 21-22 School Year.
- Can my student take Orchestra and Athletics?
Yes! Orchestra will meet opposite most athletic periods. Soccer is one of the few sports scheduled during some orchestra classes as of the current schedule. Because of the large number of Orchestra classes offered, we can help with conflicts by placing students into another orchestra class.
- Can my student participate in Orchestra all four years of High School in their schedule?
Yes! Students who participate in AP/IB, Athletics, etc…have been able to take orchestra all four years of High School without taking summer school. Counselors CAN make orchestra fit into class schedules.
- What is Advanced Music?
Please click on this link for Advanced Music Information: