- Smartmusic deals with pitch/rhythms – student responsibility
- Feedback to students and parents
- Recordings/Analysis of performances – records/portfolios
- Large numbers in programs
- AHS Auditions Example AHS Auditions Requirements
The following are the Orchestra Smartmusic STANDARDS to help “line up” use of Smartmusic in ALL schools.
How to Manage Educator Accounts – Allen ISD
Create an account at Makemusic with your Allen ISD email. Allen Orchestra uses the same password for all teacher accounts (for class management help) – create your account here
After you are logged into your Makemusic account – Reedem your Educator subscription code here ALLEN-EDU-2015-IMA
After you make an account – you will be able to manage your subscriptions under “My Account” settings at makemusic.com
(I suggest you also create a student account with your personal email address – so you can “see” what the other students see in Smartmusic)
- enroll students yourself or send email link (process for students is not easy – Smartmusic needs a Charms system) Susan enroll students?
- Students use their school mail and are given the same password in Orchestra (can change it)
- Be sure the instrument is correct for each student so the correct part is displayed in assignments
Before you “pin” iPads – you must redeem Practice Room Subscriptions. Do this only on the Head Director’s account.
After you are logged into the Head Director’s Makemusic account – Reedem the Practice Room subscription code here. You will do this as many times as the # of iPads you are pinning – PLEASE do not redeem more codes than you have iPads. ALLEN-PRA-2015
To pin your iPads:
- Sign into the Smartmusic App on the iPad with the Head Director’s Allen ISD Email and Makemusic account password
- Go to profile
- I would name your iPads (EMS Orch 1, EMS Orch 2, etc…)
- Tap Pin this iPad
- most assignments used are Custom Assignments for concert music or technique books
- open a piece of music in Smartmusic, or create your own – then create the Custom assignment
- orchestra assessments use click metronome, two measure count-in, my part and accompaniment off
- Grading – Select the not scored check box to include a recording of the student submission that you do not grade.
This is useful for teachers who want SmartMusic to calculate assessment scores automatically, but would still like to use a recording to find out why students performed poorly, or to assess other aspects of playing, like tone and musicality. The assessment only assignments are graded automatically, and are immediately added to Gradebook.
Smartmusic in the Classroom
- Smartmusic and Smartboard (Smartnotebook) integration
- Rhythm drills
- Play recordings
- Have students play by themselves (volunteers)
- Teacher model (how to use Smartmusic)
- PDF your score or music part – create XML file using Photoscore or NotateMe.
- “Click Sheet” to create a Smartmusic Assessment
- Import XML file into Finale 2014
How to Test
- 5 iPads is ideal
- Have students login as others are testing – pass to another student when done
- Teacher can help with any technical assistance and mark rubric.
- Rubric (Microsoft Word) Rubric (PDF) – change Rubric as needed!
- Test when team teaching
- Do not call them Smartmusic Tests
- Is the Smartmusic grading perfect? Discuss with students what the aim of Smartmusic is for your program.
- Keep it simple – limit assignments to work done in class
- careful not to “over-do” testing – keep a schedule so students can be prepared
- Keep tempos consistent in rehearsals and assessments
Try it out (band – flute, clarinet, horn, trumpet, trombone) – firstname.lastname@example.org password: violarocks
Canvas integration (Allen ISD Only)
- Students can import their assignments into Canvas
- Students can evaluate group rehearsals/performances. Upload audio or video from rehearsal/concert and set up discussion or essay – critical writing
Smartmusic Login! Students and parents – you can see past Smartmusic assignments here!
(login is the same as at school)
How to purchase Smartmusic for your iPad or Computer use at home (use same account login as at school)